A delicious sandwich that takes thin breaded pork cutlets, broccoli rabe and fresh Italian bread and makes the the perfect lunch.
- 2 medium pork chops
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 cup shaved sharp provolone
- 2 medium egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- vegetable oil to coat bottom of the pan
- 1 loaf fresh Italian bread
- Fill a 6 quart pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Inside of your sink fill a colander with ice cubes. This is where you will put your broccoli rabe after cooking to stop the cooking process.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, take your pork chops between two layers of plastic wrap and use a meat mallet to pound them to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper on both sides and set aside.
- Prepare your flour, panko, and eggs in separate shallow dishes. First coat the pork chop in a thin layer of flour, and then move it to the egg mixture. Coat in a thin layer of egg. Allow the excess egg to drip off before moving the the pork to the panko bread crumbs and make sure they are fully coated before setting aside.
- By now your water should be boiling. Cut the about a half inch off the bottom of your broccoli rabe and then carefully drop the broccoli rabe into the boiling water. Allow to boil for about 3-4 mins. The broccoli rabe should be bright green in color. Remove and add it to the colander with ice which stops the cooking process.
- Take out a tall walled sauté pan and put it on medium heat and coat the bottom with vegetable oil. Once the oil starts to smoke, carefully add in your breaded pork chops and cook for about 3-4 mins on each side or until dark golden brown.
- Remove the pork chops from pan and put on a grate or a paper towel lined plate to remove any excess oil.
- In the same pan that you just cooked your pork, add the thinly sliced garlic and saute until fragrant. The garlic should just be starting to brown on the edges. Add in your broccoli rabe, season with salt and pepper, and saute for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat
- Slice your Italian bread in half lengthwise and drizzle extra virgin olive oil on the inside of each side of the bread. Next, add your shaved provolone to the bottom of the bread loaf. Slice the pork chops into thin strips, and add the slices on top of the provolone. Top with broccoli rabe and the other half of bread.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Category: lunch
- Cuisine: Italian