It is so easy to make your own homemade chili powder and it is 10x better than what you will buy in your local grocery store.
- 3 ounces dried ancho chilis
- 3 ounces dried guajillo chilis
- 1 tablespoon chimayo chili powder
- 3 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for extra spice)
- In a cast ion skillet over medium heat add your dried peppers. Toast on each side until they start dancing or blistering (about 2-3 minutes). Flip and repeat on the opposite side.
- Once cooled remove the stems from the peppers and remove the seeds and ribs from the inside of the peppers.
- With your hands rip the peppers into smaller pieces, and add them to your spice grinder or food processor. Blend these until they a fine powder. You may need to work in batches depending on the side of the device you are using
- After you have ground all of your peppers add your cumin seeds and coriander seeds to your grinder and grind until a fine powder.
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
- Store in an airtight container!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10